Huevos rancheros are over-easy eggs on top of lightly fried corn tortillas and topped with chunky salsa made with green chiles, tomato, and onion. It is a very popular Mexican dish and you will find it on just about any breakfast menu at Mexican food restaurants.
3 small tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
handful of fresh jalapeno, finely chopped (I used roasted green peppers)
1/2 cup water
corn tortillas ( 2 per serving)
eggs (2 per serving)
salt and pepper to taste
– In a medium pan, heat about 1 tsp. of cooking oil and sauté chiles, tomato, and onions. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add 1/2 cup water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
– In the same pan, add 1/2 tsp of cooking oil and lightly fry corn tortillas on both sides. Place them on dry paper towels to remove excess oil before plating.
– Fry eggs according to your preference, either over-easy or over-medium.
– Top with salsa and serve.
– Adjust seasonings according to taste
* You can use a fork to eat it or roll each portion like a taco and take a big bite! 🙂 Enjoy.