Green Chicken Enchiladas
These green chicken enchiladas are sure to be a hit at you next dinner party. You can cook and shred the chicken the night before or buy a rotisserie chicken a your local market. If you have trouble rolling the tortillas, don’t bother! Sometimes I stack one tortilla after another and layer the chicken and cheese in between like a cake! They taste just as good and it saves time.
Makes 10 enchiladas
10 corn tortillas
4 small chicken breasts
2 cups shredded white cheese like Oaxaca or Muenster
8 large tomatillos
3 poblano peppers roasted and peeled
4-6 jalapeños (according to taste)
1 white onion sliced in half
5 garlic cloves
2 cubes or 2 tbsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. each of onion and garlic powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 cup cooking oil
salt, pepper to taste
Optional: After you make the sauce and cook it, taste it. Sometimes the tomatillos are too bitter. If your sauce comes out too bitter or too sour, you can add 3-4 tbsp. of cream of mushroom. I find this helps reduce that flavor. It also works when your sauce is spicier than expected and you want to turn it down a bit.
– In a medium pot, add chicken, 1/2 onion, 3 garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt. Cover with water and cook the chicken breasts. Once chicken is cooked, remove from water and shred. Set aside.
– In a medium pot, add tomatillos and jalapeños. Cover with water and cook until the tomatillos and jalapeños are soft.
– Place tomatillos, jalapeños, 1/2 onion, poblano peppers, and three garlic cloves in a blender. Add 1/2 cup water. Blend until smooth.
– Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large pan. Once oil is hot. Add sauce and cook for 15-20 minutes. Add chicken bouillon, onion and garlic powder, and ground cumin. Taste and adjust seasoning according to taste.
– In a large pan, add 3 tbsp. cooking oil. Heat.
– With the help of kitchen tongs, take each tortilla and dip it in the enchilada sauce. Cover both sides
– Transfer that tortilla to the pan with the hot oil and fry on both sides.
– Transfer the tortilla to a plate. Add chicken and roll.
– Repeat this process until all the enchiladas are made. To finish off, top with more sauce and shredded cheese. Serve immediately with a side of beans and Spanish rice.