Calabacitas: Mexican-Style Squash
Simple and great-tasting!
Serves 4 side-dish portions or 2 full portions
Summer squash (4 medium)
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 white onion
1 large garlic clove
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup water
1/2 cup shredded white cheese ( Mozzarella, Muenster, or a mix of the two)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
1 tsp. black pepper
Note: Recipe pictured in this blog does not contain corn (my guest did not eat corn) but I highly recommend you add it to your version.
– Slice squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Slice onion and chop tomato and garlic
– Heat olive oil and saute garlic and onions, 1-2 minutes
– Add squash and water. Cover and cook for ten minutes on medium heat.
– After ten minutes, uncover and add tomatoes, corn, cream, salt, and pepper. Cover again and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
– Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and serve.