Glazed Sweet Potato with Evaporated Milk
Camote enmielado is one of my all-time favorite Mexican desserts. It’s sweet potato cooked in a cane sugar syrup, served warm and topped with evaporated milk. You can find piloncillo in the Latin section of your grocery store or order it online.
2 sweet potatoes with skin, sliced in 1 inch pieces
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup water
1 can evaporated milk
– In a medium sauce pan, add 1/2 cup water, cinnamon stick, sliced sweet potatoes, and piloncillo.
– Cook covered over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until piloncillo has melted and the sweet potatoes are soft.
– Halfway through the cooking process, uncover, stir, and break any pieces of sugar remaining.
– Once cooked, remove from heat and uncover. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
– Serve warm and top with as much evaporated milk as desired.