Spicy Chicken and Vegetables
Every time my mother asked what I wanted for dinner I would reply, “Pollo en salsa de tomate!” Chicken and vegetables in tomato sauce has been one of my favorite dishes since childhood. You can control the spiciness by adjusting the amount of jalapeños or not add any at all but in my opinion, the spicier the better!
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup thawed peas
1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower
5 large tomatoes
1/2 white onion
3 garlic cloves
2-3 jalapeños, stems off (optional)
1 tbsp. tomato bouillon
1 tbsp. chicken bouillon
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground, black pepper
2-3 tbsp. cooking oil
White or brown rice to serve (optional)
– In a large pot, add tomatoes and jalapeños. Cover with water and cook them until their skin begins to peel.
– Once tomatoes and jalapeños are cooked, remove them from the water and place them in a large blender along with the onion and garlic cloves. Blend and set aside.
– In a large, deep pan, add cooking oil and heat. Brown chicken thighs on both sides. After they brown, remove them from the pan. Set them aside on a plate.
– In the same pan, add tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Add tomato bouillon, cumin, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning according to taste.
– Place chicken thighs back into the pan with tomato sauce.
– Add peas and cooked cauliflower.
– Cook for 30-40 minutes, uncovered, on medium heat or until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened.
– Serve over white or brown rice