Fish Tacos with Smoked Bacon
Fish tacos are a favorite in our home and this recipe is just one of the many we make during this time of year. Top off your tacos with your favorite salsa and serve with avocado and lime slices. It’s a perfect recipe for cookouts and even your next camping trip as it can be made in one pan from start to finish and all of the ingredients are easy to obtain.
Makes 6 tacos
2 cod fillets cut into cubes
2 slices of thick smoked bacon, chopped into small pieces
1/2 white onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small tomato, chopped
1/4 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
A pinch of lemon zest and the juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (adjust according to taste)
salt to taste
6 corn tortillas
avocado, limes, and salsa for serving
– In a large pan, cook bacon for 3-4 minutes.
– Add onion and continue to cook until onions soften.
– Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
– Add tomato and continue to stir
– Add butter into pan
– Add cod and cook until the fish begins to flake. Using a spoon, break the cod apart into smaller pieces.
– Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt.
– Stir until fish cooks and juices from the stew begin to evaporate
– Turn heat off
– Add the lemon zest and juice. Stir.
– Taste and adjust seasonings according to taste.
– Fold in cilantro right before serving
– Warm tortillas on the stovetop
– Serve with avocado, limes, and your favorite salsa